CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Does Bing stand a chance? (Microsoft's new search engine)?

Check out my newest Codeguru Blog entry at:

http://blog.codeguru.com/blog/2009/0...earch-eng.html

So do you think Bing stands a chance against Google? Will it do better than Live Search?

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Re: Does Bing stand a chance? (Microsoft's new search engine)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    So do you think Bing stands a chance against Google?
    We have to see how it works once it is released. I specifically like the feature of categorization. And UI also looks better than Live Search.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Will it do better than Live Search?
    Definitely it will do better than Live Search.

It's live today. I noticed the OVER 18 image selection. (just checking)

I'm interested in what they are going to do with AdCenter. Never could get anywhere with them last year

BING from your Browser http://www.ieaddons.com/en/
    Last edited by dglienna; June 1st, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

It's been available for a couple of days, but it doesn't look like in the ads.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

It was more of a rumor, that we guessed was Microsoft behind it, with the IE8 and LIVE look.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    that we guessed was Microsoft behind it, with the IE8 and LIVE look.
    Oh well that is mindful, when I read this I imagine you are talking about me- a black Vietnamese Mien star! I like you to write IE8 as Internet Explorer 8 not IE8, those who don't know think it is LE8 that is not absolutely

My family is specialized in network online guarding worldwide, I am still surprised to see it is not a rumor!
    -----

Have they got support like igoogle? If this is still just a search engine - I don't know what effect the rebranding will have but live search didn't look too bad to me as to have been rebranded. I read your newletter and you mentioned about a break from the Live branding - which I think might have a negative effect. Well, this is all just my opinion.

For me I think search has become synonymous to google and as soon as I have to search something, my subconscious types in "google" in the address bar. Recently, I got acquanited to live, but then there's bing. They have the domain live.com still reserved and redirect to bing but probably it will take time before it occupies peoples subconscious.

As I mentioned above, for me searching the web relates to the subconsious so rebranding something around this may have negative effect but the redirection may work around it. I don't think many think and choose the search engine just before they type in something to search, or else I would like to be proved wrong.

It has also to do with the suite of online applications/services provided as part of google or msn or yahoo. Which one wins majority depends on which one has better and varied services. That may affect popularity of the search engine as well. For example, if I need to search on google groups, it would probably not make much sense to go via yahoo search or live/bing search. Would it?

Let's see how the reaction tends to favor it in near future. And if Microsoft are going to use the live brand (esp www.live.com) for something else, maybe? Seems unlikely in near future and hence I am negative overall on that prospect of re-use. How it does, probably only time will tell.
    Last edited by exterminator; June 7th, 2009 at 10:19 AM.

Bing beat out Yahoo Search, to become the new #2 last week
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Bing beat out Yahoo Search, to become the new #2 last week
    People trying it and a huge TV campaign. Let's see if that sticks after the 'newness' wears off....
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

I've tested bing for about a week now.
    Google beats it hands down with most "information related" searches I did, specific to VB / VB.NET. In some case I got only one result from bing, where I got 1200 from google. Google in any case is not what it used to be lately.

I'll keep trying bing though, but possibilities for me using it all the time don't look good at this stage.

Did you log in? It keeps track of what you search for, so learn your habits. If you searched ONLY VB.Net, that's what'd you would get most of the time

Then, again, GOOGLE is the same for me
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

That is another thing. Why do I "have" to log in to a search engine, just for a simple search, I can't see the logic in that
    Now, let us presume I log in, and did some searches in VB.NET specific. Later I try to search JavaScript or anything else, do you say that I'll still only get VB.NET related results

If so, then that is stupid
    I'll stick with google then

An anaology -

If you tend to eat out a lot and when you do, if 3 out of 6 times it is at a chicken joint you choose, then if you ask for good places to eat, wouldn't it make sense to show you mostly chicken joints since half the time that is what you want?

Granted, if you decide to search for a good steak, then you should still get the good steak places, but if there is a place that also serves chicken, then based on your past tendencies towards chicken, it would make sense to mention it to you as well.

Of course, if you never select seafood, then any seafood options could be lowered in their value to you, so no point in showing them high on the list.

If logging in allows the search engine to figure out more of my preferences so that I get more relevant searches, then isn't that a good thing?

Yes, it does make sense what you say

What my concern is that they're trying to overcomplicate things. I deal with hundreds of computer illitarate people on a daily basis, and they learn you use x search engine a certain way. Then they see that when you log into a certain site ( Google ) for instance, you may get options to personalise your pages / mail etc. - They won't know what features are actually available by default.

Why wasn't this functionality built in by default?

Wink Re: Does Bing stand a chance? (Microsoft's new search engine)?

Bing will alive for couple years, after that it would be like MS. Fortran, MS. Money, Windows 98 etc etc... no support, dead etc etc . It might alive OK if it is attached to IE and IE still attached to Windows. But the new windows search that I downloaded from MS couple days ago was sux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast