CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Chart Control for WinForms Application

I needed a chart control for my winforms application showing some time series graphs. (.NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Visual C# 2008).

I was wondering if there are any easy to use chart controls in .Net providing that much flexibility without me having to resort to doing it in Flash (or some other technology, whichever is easiest). And if not, as I am complete novice in Flash (or whatever that technology could be), so any hints as to how could I make it in that and integrate it with my winforms application, would be very helpful. A link to a good tutorial would be very helpful as well.

Just one limitation though, I would want the control to be freely available.

The capabilities I would need are: (I am not sure what all I might need in future but just as a starter atleast these)

1. Should support zoom-in, zoom-out into the time-series.
    2. Should show data co-ordinates on mouse hover
    3. Should support variety of charting styles like line, bar to begin with
    4. Should support runtime binding to data (how I bind that would be an implementation detail)
    5. Should support 3 dimensional views
    6. Ease of use

1, 2, 3 and 6 are priority requirements. 4 and 5 I can compromise on.

1. Any hints on if such a control is available free in .Net (within framework or as a open source/free work)?
    2. How easy would it be to achieve this in WPF and can I use a WPF control in .Net WinForms application type?
    3. Other technologies that can be integrated with WinForms and easy to create chart controls in? (For example, Flash or anything else?) Links to good tutorials? It would be good to get a comparative view on this.

I want to be able to pick it up and ran as soon as I can. Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Re: Chart Control for WinForms Application

And some more information about it with (downloadable) examples.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/mschart

Thank you very much, both of you. I downloaded the samples. Looks like the charts are not interactable. But that's ok for me for now. I can manage.

One thing though, does it support a mouse hover data point/co-ordinate display? I cannot have the data points displayed on the chart (there is a property for this) because too many data points make it look bad with too many labels. And I would want to be able to hover over a series and get to see the X-Y values at the underlying point. Is that possible? Is there a property for that or some programming trickery that I can do? Looks to be like a generic functionality that could have been wrapped in a property or some kind of chart area configuration.

Anyways, enough speculation, I will wait for your feedbacks. Thanks again so far.

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator View Post
    I downloaded the samples. Looks like the charts are not interactable.

Yes they are interactable. Take a look under 'Interactivity and AJAX'. You can show tooltips.