CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question MFC: CSplitterWnd, runtime class

Hello,

I have the following problem/question:

Let's say I have a class CMyView derived from CView whose constructor can take parameters which influence the view's initial appearance (e.g. an RGB value to set the background color).

Now I want to use CSplitterWnd and create TWO views with CMyView as the runtime class. The two views are supposed to be initialized with different parameters though and therefore have a different initial appearance.

Since I can only pass the runtime class to CSplitterWnd::CreateView how is it possible to influence the construction of the view used with CSplitterWnd?

Thanks in advance!

Re: MFC: CSplitterWnd, runtime class

Quote Originally Posted by maglite View Post
    Hello,

I have the following problem/question:

Let's say I have a class CMyView derived from CView whose constructor can take parameters which influence the view's initial appearance (e.g. an RGB value to set the background color).

Now I want to use CSplitterWnd and create TWO views with CMyView as the runtime class. The two views are supposed to be initialized with different parameters though and therefore have a different initial appearance.

Since I can only pass the runtime class to CSplitterWnd::CreateView how is it possible to influence the construction of the view used with CSplitterWnd?

Thanks in advance!
    You will have a view for the program that will own the splitter:

CSplitterWnd m_wndSplitter;

In the OnCreate for your program's main view, you will initialize the splitter and set up two panes:

m_wndSplitter.CreateStatic(this,1, 2); //Creates two side by side panes

Then you create each pane and do an instance of CMyView in each:
    Code:
    pContext = (CCreateContext*)lpCreateStruct->lpCreateParams;
    lpCreateStruct->style |= WS_OVERLAPPED;
    m_wndSplitter.CreateView(0,0,RUNTIME_CLASS(CMyView), CSize(0,0), pContext);
    m_wndSplitter.CreateView(0,1,RUNTIME_CLASS(CMyView),  CSize(0,0), pContext);
    m_pView0=(CMyView *)m_wndSplitter.GetPane(0,0);
    m_pView1=(CMyView *)m_wndSplitter.GetPane(0,1);
    You now have two instances of CMyView that are independent of one another that are children of your program's main view.

Bill

Re: MFC: CSplitterWnd, runtime class

I now see that my question doesn't make much sense in the way that i want to pass parameters to the constructor of the view, since the constructor is of course protected...

Thank you for your answer, wdolson! This is exactly what i needed to know.