CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Question Cannot run .NET Application

Hello all,

I have run into a strange problem. I have developed a Windows Forms Application within VS2008, which has been working well for a long time. However, as I had to reinstall my system due to a harddisk failure, when I now try to debug the application (or run it, either by clicking on its icon or from the command line), I get the following message (it might be slightly different on an English system as I am working on a Danish machine, and the message below is translated as well as I have been able to):

The service cannot be started from the command line or a debugger. You should first use installutil.exe to install a Windows Service, which then should be started with Server Explorer, the administration tool for Windows Services, or the command NET START.

When I look at the Event Log, an error is registered which says that "the service process could not connect to the service controller."

I have not developed any services - it is plain application development!

Does anyone have a clue about how this problem can be solved?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

octagon64

Re: Cannot run .NET Application

There is a possibility that you need to go to Windows update and install all of the updates for the machine again... if this is Vista you may want to consider installing the Windows 7 Release Candidate since you just rebuilt your machine... you can download it here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Win 7 will be released on October 22, 2009 and it plain and simply rocks! The RC will expire next year so you would need to get a licensed copy.

Hope this helps,

Larry Darrah
    MS Architect Evangelist