CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Calling a function from function name

Hello,

In c++, let us consider that we have a string or char* functionName and that we know the signature (output and input arguments types) of the function we want to call.
    Is there a way to call this function ? I think I have to use function pointer.. But still the problem is to find the pointer of the function by using its name.

Thanks in advance,
    rilpo

Re: Calling a function from function name

In short: No. C++ does not have anything corresponding to Java reflection. You need to know the address where the function is stored to call it, not it's name.
    More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity. --W.A.Wulf

Premature optimization is the root of all evil --Donald E. Knuth

Please read Information on posting before posting, especially the info on using [code] tags.

That´s not possible in C/C++. Using a std::map storing string/fn pointers pairs might be a solution, but you have to fill the map on your own. You also need a separate map for each function type (signature).
    - Guido

Ok thank you for this answer, also for the concept of reflection. So I will use a map.