CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Desktop Application

Hi

I am new to this forum, forgive me if i am asking that was asked thousand times on this forum or i commit spelling or grammatical mistakes.

I want to develop Data Manager Application for small firms which will store information in database and be able to retrieve reports as per need.

Most of the firms have following system configuration
    Pentium 4 Processor, 40GB HDD, 512MB RAM.

Data base will grow by One million records (with 20 fields per table, 20 char space per field) is max in one year.
    Let us assume we need to keep database size such that it will work for at least 5 years with 2 million records per year that is 10 million records.

The Application and database must be able to run on the same machine

I am ok with functional requirements, however i am not sure about technologies i should use.

Please suggest me technologies for development of GUI, middle layer and database.

I am planning to use Swings for GUI, core java as middle layer and MySQL databse.

I am Java Developer, but i will not shy away from learning new technologies.

I have been suggested to consider SWT, RCP and many more things.

Can you please suggest me appropriate technologies? Or share your experience of developing similar application?
    Any kind of information/feedback/suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

Re: Desktop Application

Hibernate between java and DB. use HQL, top down approach, and it will be portable to any database.

You haven't said what the application will be. What will it do (besides storing data)? Personally I would write a small web application to add / view the data instead of a Swing app that needs to be installed / downloaded to each and every machine.

The design for any application is based on the specs, not only the amount of data it works on. Please post an outline of requirements, so that you can get better replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgramThis View Post
    You haven't said what the application will be. What will it do (besides storing data)? Personally I would write a small web application to add / view the data instead of a Swing app that needs to be installed / downloaded to each and every machine.
    ProgramThis ,

The application will be for schools mostly to keep information about students like marks, personal details, fees, attendance etc.
    Currently the whole system is paper based, i want to digitalize it.

Most of the schools will be having at the most two machine allocated to activities like this. So, anyways i need to install application at every school. Running web application on same machine will be bit difficult because that means i will have to install Apache at every machine running this application and hence complexities will increase.

Hi All,

As per Varuns sugession, I am writting little more about requirements.

I want to develope a desktop application to be used by schools for storing details about students such as.....personal details, marks, attendance, fees. Currently schools dont want anything extra......mostly they will try us, if we could prove, they will let us deliver more.

Most (almost none) of the schools have internate connection, so software installation will be a manual activity. Again schools many not have Intel Core 2 processors with RAM in GBs....common configuration is P4-256MB RAM-40GB HDD. This needs us to make software as light weight as possible.

Next challenge lies in data security....Power outages are very common over here, because of which Hard Disk failure is quite common. I can safely assume that atleast one out of 10 hard disks will fail in an year. Currenttly we are thinking of using PEN Drive as storage to take DB snapshot after every commit. For that we will be providing required hardware for PEN Drive.

Inshort we need to develop an desktop application which
    --- will work on P4-256RAM-40 GB HDD
    --- Will have at the most 20 GUI views
    --- Will be handing data of at the most 10,000 students(i know in original post i was speaking about 10M records...but that was worst case scenario)
    --- Will run smouth enough so that user doesnt get annoyed

I can think of only this much of requirements, i will get more insight of challenges ahead from feedback of first prototype

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Hibernate between java and DB. use HQL, top down approach, and it will be portable to any database.
    Thank you very much for your reply.