CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unable to start program... I try to run my application in 64 bits

Hi,
    I have installed Windows server 2003 standard x64 and I am trying to migrate my application in 32 bits to 64bits (win32 to x64 plataform). I get compile and link the application but when I start debugging I get this message error:

"
    Unable to start program 'C:\.....EXE'
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. For more details, please see the application event log.
    "

Can any help me please?
    Thanks.

Re: Unable to start program... I try to run my application in 64 bits

I am not sure but i think you have to build your application in a 64 bit environment.

Thanks,

Hi,
    thanks for the reply.

Yes I try to compile my application in Windows Server 2003 SP1 Standard x64. I can't run the application, can any help me?

I paste the MyApplication.exe.embed.manifest:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT" version="8.0.50727.762" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugMFC" version="8.0.50727.762" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    </assembly>

Can any help me?Thanks.

At first glance, it would appear that this
    Code:
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>
    could be the problem. I haven't had time yet to see what the correct entry would be for x64 architecture, but you may find it if you try google.

Good luck.
    Be sure to rate those who help!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Karl - WK5M
    PP-ASEL-IA (N43CS)
    PGP Key: 0xDB02E193
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 8F06 5A2E 2735 892B 821C 871A 0411 94EA DB02 E193

Which version of Visual Studio you are using?
    Check for 'Manifest' in project settings. They should be kept to default.
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

May be you can modify processorArchitecture="*". Try with this.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replys.
    This is the info of my Visual Studio 2005:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600)
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 2.0.50727 SP2

Installed Edition: Professional
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77626-009-0000007-41004
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
    Crystal Reports AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
    Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
    This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.

Where is this option (Manifest)?
    If I go to project-properties-linker-manifest file, I can see the options generate Manifest (yes), Manifest file... etc.

If I modify MyApplication.exe.embed.manifest then the application links again and generate the same manifest that I have pasted.

Thanks for the replyes, one more idea?

See if manifest file is being embedded to project output (EXE). You can find this under 'Manifest tool' -> 'Input/Output'.

If manifest is not embedded, make sure it resides in same directory as in EXE.

One more idea is to search for manifest files into your system (Windws\System32 for one). Use that .manifest by renaming as per your application name.
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I will try this next monday but I remember that this file is in the same folder that EXE.

Thanks.

I'm guessing here, but what it sounds like you've done is take a project file and it's definition, which was originally started out as win32, and tried to change THAT project to output x64?

It's easier, literally, to start a new (empty) project FOR x64, then simply add your source files into that (now 64 bit configuration) into it.

Then, everything else is "set" right.
    If my post was interesting or helpful, perhaps you would consider clicking the 'rate this post' to let me know (middle icon of the group in the upper right of the post).

Yes I am tacking one project started with plattform win32 and I want add the possibility to compile with plattform x64, therfore I can't start a new empty project, because I want that the project run in win32 if the programmer choose win32 plattform or run in x64 if programmer choose x64 plattform.

I will try to start a new empty project in x64 (only a easy project"hello world" project), and I will try to run this project, I will try this to comprove if I have the correct configuration (windows, Visual c++2005, and the project configuration).

Thanks.

You can do this by adding multiple targets to a project, or multiple projects to a solution.

It depends simply on how you want to configure the IDE.

Two projects that depend on the same source code are not much different than one project with multiple target configurations, except that it's simpler to determine selective CPP or library includes with multiple projects.

It can also be simpler to start a different configuration as a new project within a solution that attempting to create a new configuration within the same project.
    Last edited by JVene; June 21st, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
    If my post was interesting or helpful, perhaps you would consider clicking the 'rate this post' to let me know (middle icon of the group in the upper right of the post).

Thanks for the replies.
    I have solved the error, the line:

This line was inserted by code in one .cpp of my application to solve a past error, if I comment or delete this line the application run (with other errors for 32 bits dlls but I can see that the application start).

Thank you very much.