CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

modifying a loop with input

hey guys, so i am doing a project in which i need to be able to get input to alter the processes of a loop while it is running, but without disrupting the loop- so, if the user enters a character and hits enter, for instance, the value of some variable in the loop would be changed, but otherwise the loop continues on unstopped. is there a way to do this? thanks!

Re: modifying a loop with input

You will need to perform the loop in a worker thread and regularly (e.g. each iteration) check some shared resource, such as a bool variable.
    In your main thread you then set the bool variable when you want the for-loop to stop.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Quote Originally Posted by iochinome View Post
    hey guys, so i am doing a project in which i need to be able to get input to alter the processes of a loop while it is running, but without disrupting the loop- so, if the user enters a character and hits enter, for instance, the value of some variable in the loop would be changed, but otherwise the loop continues on unstopped. is there a way to do this? thanks!
    Try kbhit if you are using windows platform. Unfortunately C++ istream classes do not support asynchronous input. So, there is no standard way of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rohshall View Post
    Try kbhit if you are using windows platform. Unfortunately C++ istream classes do not support asynchronous input. So, there is no standard way of doing it.
    Actually, you could use a second thread. Do all your work (the loop) in the thread, and have your main thread waiting on input.

Viggy