CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Angry How do I gain access to my friends PC using his IP address?

If I had my friends IP address can I connect to his PC by creating a java program to control it? By using his IP address connect over the internet to his PC. I can access to his C drive so I can view the file and folder whether he had update in his pc. Any idea?

Re: How do I gain access to my friends PC using his IP address?

Have him write a socket server and implement all the services you will require.
    Client side is up to you, but you will be able to open a socket on whatever port he is listening on.

Alternatively, you can do this all with web services also!

Question Re: How do I gain access to my friends PC using his IP address?

by the way, i'm just trying to access the pc whereby i already know her ip address. It is within the same network. can you please give me some sample code?

thanks ...due to i'm new to java..

Angry Re: How do I gain access to my friends PC using his IP address?

it doesn't need a server & client program, i need a only a program which doesn't have a client program. help!!!

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: How do I gain access to my friends PC using his IP address?

Which operating systems are involved?

With Windows (and probably other OS) you can't use just an IP address to access someone else's files without them running a suitable service (FTP server, etc) to validate and provide access. With Windows you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop or remote access software like LogMeIn to access and even take control of another PC (given permission).

The most important single aspect of software development is to be clear about what you are trying to build...
    B. Stroustrup
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.