CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to use an unmanaged C library from a VC++ CLI project

I need to access two external APIs: one a native C interface (no classes), the other a C# .NET assembly. I have build a CLI Windows Forms project in VC++ 2008 that can access the .NET assembly.

When I attempt to link the LIB file for the native DLL, I get the message,

LNK1313: ijw/native module detected; cannot link with pure modules

I have tried different compiler and linker settings of /CLI, but without success.

Tried: Options>Linker>Advanced>CLRImageType = Force IJW (was Default) & rebuild
    Result: fatal error: LINK1309: pure module detected AssemblyInfo.cpp

Tried: AssemblyInfo.cpp > Options > C/C++>General>Compile with CLR support = /clr (was /clrure)
    Result: command-line option '/clrure' inconsistent with precompiled header
    How do I force the precomipled header to recompile? Build <solution> didn't work.

Am I going about this the right way?
    Is there some header, assembly, compiler option, #pragma statement or other step that I am missing for mixing managed C++ with an unmanaged C library?

Thank you,
    Jeff Allan

Re: How to use an unmanaged C library from a VC++ CLI project

Dont link to the C# .NET assembly via it's .lib file, add the dll as a reference to the project.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

for a mixed-mode dll in c++/cli you should use only /clr

/clrure stands for: Pure MSIL is comprised of MSIL instructions, so code containing functions that cannot be expressed in MSIL will prevent compilation. (source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...53(VS.80).aspx)

take a look at this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...52(VS.80).aspx
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Quote Originally Posted by darwen View Post
    Dont link to the C# .NET assembly via it's .lib file, add the dll as a reference to the project.

Darwen.
    Darwen,

Thanks, that's how I am using the .NET assembly and that is working fine.

My problem is how to also include (link, reference, whatever) the native C API which is in the form a .LIB and a .DLL. Can I include the .LIB file using Project>Add Existing Iterm? Or do I reference the .DLL using Project>Options>Linker>Input>Additional Dependencies?

The problem I'm having seems to be with the "/CLR: pure" compile & link options. I will try again making everything /CLR instead.

Jeff

Re: How to use an unmanaged C library from a VC++ CLI project [solution]

The solution involved 3 steps:
    - setting the linker option to /CRL
    - setting the compiler option for each module to /CRL
    - disabling precompiled headers

FYI, I included the .LIB file of the native library using Project > Add Existing Item

Thanks to those who replied.

Jeff Allan