CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Multithreaded compilation

Does the VS2008 compiler support multithreaded compilation? I've got a rather large C++/CLI project and the compiler is using only one core of my double core processor.
    Last edited by memeloo; July 9th, 2009 at 04:10 AM.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Re: Multithreaded compilation

I don't think so, why don't you divide the project into multiple groups and run them on diff core ?
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Re: Multithreaded compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Krishnaa View Post
    why don't you divide the project into multiple groups and run them on diff core ?
    what do you mean by dividing a project into multiple groups?

and I've found the solution

the compiler needs yet another switch: /MP

some of you will probaly say that a decrease of compile time from 1min 36sec to 1min 12sec is not so much and that my project is not at all so big but it's something and it's good to know that

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive...-in-orcas.aspx
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know