CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Encryption

Encryption

Hi all,

How to maintain a high level encryption for maintaining databases? This encryption is required at the Business level.

Please help soon.

Thanks and regards in advance.

Re: Encryption

What kind of data do you want do encrypt? All data in the DB, or just user passwords?

Dear friend.,

The Encription is to work between the application and the database as a firewall., When ever i need i can change the magic key(FireWall) it own affect the Database data... This is what i want to implement..

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you mean.

If you want to encrypt traffic from the web server to the web browser you need to purchase a certificate. Depending on the the vender you go with you can get one for about $100.

However, it's seem like you want to encrypt what you store in your database you can use the encryption functionality in .NET.

If you just want to encrypt passwords then I suggest hashing instead of encryption because you won't need to look up the passwords...well, you shouldn't anyway.

Changing the encryption key periodically is possible. You'll have to decrypt everything in the database and re-encrypt everything with the new key. This process could take a while if you have a lot of data.

Encryption isn't even closely related to a firewall so I'm not sure what you mean by using it as a firewall.

Scott

I agree with Scott on this -- it is hard to recommend a good approach without understanding what you mean.

To implement encryption you should take a look at: System.Security.Cryptography.Rijndael
    Scott Knake
    Custom Software Development
    Apex Software, Inc.