CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

WIN API sunset time information

Hello,

I was searching in windows api reference and I haven't found any win api function that retrieves the sunset or sunrise time information, but a friend of mine sweared me that it exists...

Anyone knows if it exists? If not is it possible to calculate it without location information?

Thanks,
    Tiago Brunhoso Nunes

Re: WIN API sunset time information

Quote Originally Posted by hoxsiew View Post
    I usually find those "Let me Google that for you" posts to be more funny than helpful, but this is a good one. The very first entry in the Google results contains a very interesting algorithm. Of course it's not C++ but any good programmer should have no trouble at all creating code from it.

Sunrise/Sunset Algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by omniausente View Post
    is it possible to calculate it without location information?
    Longitude can be approximated by time-zone information but Latitude, which I would say is more important, can't. You could always use a typical value such as 40 degrees north for U.S. and Europe, etc. but any generalization of longitude and latitude will add to the error of your calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xC0000005 View Post
    I usually find those "Let me Google that for you" posts to be more funny than helpful, but this is a good one. The very first entry in the Google results contains a very interesting algorithm. Of course it's not C++ but any good programmer should have no trouble at all creating code from it.

Sunrise/Sunset Algorithm
    Yes, I read through that one and found it very interesting.

Thanks for the answers!

From your posts I conclude that the windows api itself doesn't have this kind of information...

And thanks also for the longitude aproximation tip... it can be useful!

PS: This was not intended to be a "Google it for me" question, as I already made that search by my self. I was only thinking that windows api could have this info for me... I just need to know if it is day or night