CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Custom Control and user control questions

I am new to WPF. I create a new custom control and reference it in another project so as to use it. Now should I be able to view the custom I created in the toolbox just like the standard controls allowing drag and drop it? Should a user control be seen in the toolbox and allow drag and drop?

Can the custom control and user control only be designed via XAML and not via a design tool?

Can the use of the custom control and user control only be be used via XAML and not via a design tool?

What I am doing right now I can only desing a user control and custom control via XMAL which reminds me of the way one first created controls in winforms where you had to declare everything. If true this semes to be a step backwards.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Custom Control and user control questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bassett View Post
    I am new to WPF. I create a new custom control and reference it in another project so as to use it. Now should I be able to view the custom I created in the toolbox just like the standard controls allowing drag and drop it? Should a user control be seen in the toolbox and allow drag and drop?

Can the custom control and user control only be designed via XAML and not via a design tool?

Can the use of the custom control and user control only be be used via XAML and not via a design tool?

What I am doing right now I can only desing a user control and custom control via XMAL which reminds me of the way one first created controls in winforms where you had to declare everything. If true this semes to be a step backwards.
    You need to add the control to the toolbox prior to having it show up in the toolbox.

See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...d-eca566a1f11b

In general the WPF editor lags the features of the Winforms editor, but I expect in a short time it will be on par with the Winforms editor.

The real power is the flexibility of what you can create with WPF, not with the current (temporary) limitations of the editor.