CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] SetWindowLong and WM_MOUSEMOVE

Question for the gurus. I need to be able to ignore the mousemove event selectively for a selected control on a form. More specifically, I need the X and Y mousepointer coordinates to reflect the X,Y coordinates relative to the parent form window and NOT the control the mouse is over. I assume I can use GetWindowLong and SetWindowLong then only handle WM_MOUSEMOVE messages in some routine other than my SelectedControl_Mousemove event routine. But I'm not sure exactly how I would go about ignoring the control boundaries of the selected window I'm processing the messages for.

In my perfect world LOL, I could just discard the WM_MOUSEMOVE messages entirely for a selected window and the WM_MOUSEMOVE messages for the parent window would continue to work uninterrupted as if the mouse had never passed over another window, but that would be too easy now wouldn't it???

Anyone have any ideas on a good starting point?

Re: SetWindowLong and WM_MOUSEMOVE

Do the math. One control is a subset of the screen, so if you're in that space, ignore clicks. Not sure about hiding mouse move, though. Depends on what you mean
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

DG,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew that controls on my my form were child windows of the parent, and ignoring the mouseclicks is fairly straight forward, but I'm actually looking to ignore the mousemove event of all subwindows during a drag event. I may be re-inventing the wheel here, as I'm now looking at a function:

DragDetect. I can't readily find a VB implementation of this but I've looked at some of the example C++ code and it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I'm going to charge the Front Line and see if I can make it work.

What I want to do is drag one control across my form window and not lose track of my current location on the form as I drag 'Across' another control.

Thoughts?

Sub-windows of YOUR app, or any open app? You can't prevent mouse_move, as the cursor WILL move over the control.

I suggest disabling the DROP while over your form.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Still not sure what you mean.
    Do you have something written in your controls mouse move procedure, that you don't want invoked?

If so, you could use the GetKeyState API, to detect if the mouse is down.

If, not then GetCursorPos API will give the screen coordinates of the pointer.
    Then GetWindowRect will give you the boundry coordinates of your form.
    This would allow you to keep track of the position relative to the form.

Some declarations:
    Code:
    Private Declare Function apiGetKeyState Lib "user32" Alias "GetKeyState" (ByVal vKey As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function apiGetWindowRect Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowRect" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByRef lpRect As RECT) As Boolean 

Private Declare Function apiGetCursorPos Lib "user32" Alias "GetCursorPos" (ByRef lpPoint As POINTAPI) As Boolean

If that doesn't solve your problem, let us know.
    Last edited by TT(n); July 18th, 2009 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually resolved the situation with

SetCapture Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long
    ReleaseCapture Lib "user32" () As Long

It works nicely. I've attached a Demo Project if anyone would like see the procedure and effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanx for sharing your wonderful solution

Glad to see you've got it resolved. Another way to get a window to ignore the mouse, is to disable it. Then the mouse messages go to the window underneath.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?