CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Crystal reports Copying

I have designed a new report. It does not uses any direct sql query. But it uses Database. the report is designed with the wizard. Now I need to duplicate this report and create another simillar 10 reports only difference between these reports would be to the table names. Is there a easy way to do it instead designing each report again? is there way to to just change the table names without affecting the report format?

Re: Crystal reports Copying

If I understand what you are asking, then the answer to both are no. Anytime you change the tables that a report links to it removes all of the fields from the report, so you would have to add all of the fields back to the report after changing the tables.

Thanks Jade. U got my question. Yes i will have to add all of the fields back to the each of the new report. Is there a way to copy the format? Each field in the report have different size and position, can I just copy and paste size and position property from one report to the other.
    its a very precise report and needs a carefull placement of fields.

Say Crystal Reports version

Crystal Reports XI

You can try Set DataSource Location
    ----------------------------------------------
    Set Datasource Location dialog box
    The Set Datasource Location dialog box appears when you choose the Set Datasource Location command from the Database menu.

Use this dialog box to change the location of the data source currently used in your report.

Current Data Source
    This list displays the database and tables currently used in the report. The main report is shown as the root node.

Note:

All subreports are located under one node so that the data sources for them are grouped together. A data source used in two or more subreports is indicated by a different icon at the data source level.
    If a table is used in two or more subreports but the alias name is different, the real table name is appended to the end.
    Expanding the Properties node for a data source or for a table displays detailed information about the item. Some entries in the Properties node, such as Database Name, have shortcut menu options; any property that can be edited has, at least, an Edit option on its shortcut menu.

Replace with
    This list displays the same options as the Data tab of the Database Expert. See Data tab (Database Expert) for information about how to select a new data source or table.

Update
    Click the Update button to update the new data source information in the Current Data Source list. If the new data source is different from the one you're replacing, the Map Fields dialog box appears. See Remapping altered database fields for information about how to use the Map Fields dialog box.