CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] compling Vb code without using IDE

Hi,
    I have typed one code in textpad and saved it as MyFirstApplication.vbc I want to compile this from command prompt, without using visual studio IDE. Is that possible.
    When i searched in net i got an example saying
    go to command prompt and type:

vbc MyFirstApplication.vb

but when i typed this in command prompt, it says that "vbc " is not recognised as an internal or external command.
    What i have to do to get this compiled

Re: compling Vb code without using IDE

VB6 files do not have a VB extension so whatever you found was not referring to VB6.

VB6 projects are made up of .bas .cls .frm .frx .res and of course the .vbp file which ties it all together.

That said you can do it from the command line in one easy step .....

"c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vb98\vb6.exe" MyProject.vbp /make

I would imagion you could compile the individual files into obj files and call the linker to create the exe as well but I really have no desire to complicate things when it is so simple to compile using the provided methods.

If you want to persue it in more detail the VB6 compiler is located in the VB98 folder and is named C2.EXE. There is also a Link.exe there which would be part of the process.

You are talking about VB.NET and not VB6(which is known as Classic VB too). VBC.EXE is the compiler for VB.NET programs and this is present in the .NET Framework folder. This folder is dependent on which version of framework you are using and ideally would be present in "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\vbc.exe".

I am moving the thread to VB.NET forum.

I think the poster really was referring to VB6, he has a few threads in the VB6 forum recently related to MSComm.

The example i tried was the one i got from vb website. It has some section on vb.net too. It seems like i have posted this question in not the correct forum. This is to be in VB.NET . Thank you all for giving some idea about compiling a VB6 files