CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Determining Post Data of Web Page

I am trying to post data to a secured website. I have the code to do it, but I don't know how to determine what post data needs to be sent. I would assume it's username and password, but is it "UserName", "user_name", "login_name", "name", etc. ? Is there a tool that can determine this? Like give a website to this tool and it tells you what post data the site is looking for.

I've tried Google, but it always gives code on how to use the GET and POST methods, which I already know how to do.

If no tool, maybe there is code to do this?
    Last edited by eclipsed4utoo; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Re: Determining Post Data of Web Page

Download the firebug plug-in for firefox. Go to the site you're trying to make a post to, and inspect the forum that its posting, look at all the input fields and write down the values. If this is an ajax post then its even easier because firebug will show you all the post data.

Tamper Date http://tamperdata.mozdev.org/ for FireFox is also very handy for such things, as you can look at the request/response prior to actually submitting it to the site. (It is also a great tool to circumvent client side validation for testing your web-solutions )

"it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Thanks for all the replies.