CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Getting a job

Getting a job

Over the past few months, I have been thinking about going to college, such as Pensacola Christian College or NJIT, to earn a degree in computer science and software engineering. I want to earn a living as a computer programmer. Since earlier years of my youth, I have been on the move learning programming languages such as Visual Basic and C++. While I never finished a complete software solution, I did successfully prove to myself that I was capable of programming in those languages by writing small applications and doing experiments. Now, however, I am interested in Java, and want to earn a living as a Java programmer, because the language attracts me so strongly. I like its simplistic programming interfaces and other features of the language that facilitate programming tasks.

But although I have this ambition of being a computer programmer, going to college may not be feasible for me. I may not get accepted, and due to my current living conditions and mental conditions, it is even more difficult for me to get into college. Therefore, seeing I just recently became aware of a Java Certification exam, I now wonder if it is possible to get a programming job without earning a degree. My question is, if I learn everything covered on the language exams and developer exams, and pass them, will I be qualified to work for a company, or will they accept me if I show them a certificate alone?

Also, will I make a decent amount of money as a java programmer. And what are the advantages amd disadvantages of working for a company programming in Java as opposed to one the programms in one of the C languages or visual basic? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Getting a job

Quote Originally Posted by Guidosoft View Post
    I just recently became aware of a Java Certification exam, I now wonder if it is possible to get a programming job without earning a degree. My question is, if I learn everything covered on the language exams and developer exams, and pass them, will I be qualified to work for a company, or will they accept me if I show them a certificate alone?
    I'm generally quite negative to the SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer) exam as a hiring tool. The reason is that the SCJP shows language proficiency rather than programming ability, and the latter's a wastly more important skill in my view.

But in circumstances I realize the SCJP has its merits and maybe in your situation it's the perfect choise. You'll get structure in your studies and a set goal, something to aim at.

I'm sure that for some jobs having the SCJP is a definite benefit and will improve your chances. But you should be prepared to seek many jobs and not taking it personally when rejected.

Re: Getting a job

As nuzzle said, SCJP certificate may help, especially in case you want to get a job remotely. But in my own experience the times when HR just looked at education section in your CV and certificates are almost over. Actually when a company is only interested in documents I'd consider this a bad sign meaning the company doesn't know what they are doing and so not worthy of any attention.

In past 10 years freelancers have proven to be more qualified and experienced than most of college rich party boys. And against all corporate propaganda companies assimilated this idea, and so did the qualification programs and internal selection exams. That's why if you have some experience, a will to learn more and is ready work under pressure, usually it's relatively easy to find a job. If a company is not full of complete morons on its top the salary would be proportional to your experience and abilities, and not the quantity of shiny papers.

In the beginning it may be hard to find well paid job without any real experience so I'd try to get some small programs released, even if these would be your own experiments. Even so they can serve as a good example of your abilities on an interview. If you want some money right now, try freelance portals (http://www.elance.com would be a good choice for example, google for more...), get some jobs done. This way you'd obtain the needed experience, some money and even some fame eventually. If you are not satisfied with the amount of earnings as a freelancer then try a company you think could take you in.

Many companies offer their own selection exams on the interview. If so be prepared for technical questions regarding the position you are being tried for.

Normally Java (SDK) Developer needs to know well at least Swing and threads, also wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with an SQL mapping framework like Hibernate. Beginner Java Web Developer - JSP, Servlets, XML, HTML, CSS. J2EE Developer - at least EJB, JSP, Struts, Spring, Hibernate. Also some knowledge on databases is essential in each profile. Master SQL, check out MySQL, MSSQL and Oracle APIs. If you want to go on with Java career be ready to know all popular frameworks and be able to use them at least on a basic level. I would recommend reviewing Software Architecture Patterns, Tapestry, iBATIS, JSF and Flex frameworks as well. Knowing doesn't hurt, you know. For ex. I've just missed a juicy position in one of the biggest consulting companies here just because of not knowing Flex well enough. So make your conclusions...

What's over the horizon? Software architecture, big servers like WebSphere or WebLogic, corporate networks, more understanding, more pressure, more responsibility and, of course, bigger salary.

So if you are still not scared enough be patient, communicative, do not be afraid to fail and work hard. Wish you luck.

P.S. For the love of god do not stray from the Java way, .NET universe as huge as Java and there are other lesser but still strong paths like C++, PHP, Python, Perl or Ruby. If you do - you'll never become an expert in any of them. Only if you really feel you're cool or there is an immediate necessity, then go for another one.

da.mn, my post sounds like a freakin "Find an awesome job in 1 day for dummies" article... I swear I didn't want it. I'm sorry, really
    Last edited by Xeel; July 27th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!