CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Threads in C++

Threads in C++

I want to learn threads and concurrency in c++.Can some one recommend a good book for threads please.By the way I use VC++

Re: Threads in C++

There is no book about threads in C++ because threads will become part of C++0x standard. As this standard wasn't approved yet writers didn't write any book about it.
    But you can read some books about threads in particular OS. I would recommend to read Jeffry Richter if you would like to know about threads in windows.

Hi,
    Thank you very much for the reply.I also found other book Multithreading Applications in Win32..

Which of the two is better??

I didn't read this book and don't know its authors. I read Richter's book and I know he is very knowledgeable man and he has a good "teacher language"(I mean his books are simple to read and understand). But I'm sure it won't be bad if you read both.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

There are several common threading libraries, including pthreads and Boost Threads. However, multithreaded programming isn't so much about learning a particular library as it is about learning a way of thinking. So whatever you study, focus on the concepts.

Since you are using VC++, <windows.h> has threading tools in it, I suggest looking for tutorials on that.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

For programming threads on Windows, the Richter book mentioned earlier is a must read.

For Posix threads (and even threading in general), the book by David Butenhof is a fantastic one. He was also on the standardization of posix threads, so it is from the man himself. "Programming with Posix Threads" it is.

"Windows via C/C++" is another good book