CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Excel migration to C# application

I didn't know where to post this question, but this was as close as I could get.
    I have an excel application which I want to transfer to winform C#.

Brief Description of Application
    1) In my application I have several Sheets A,B,C etc (normally 40-50sheets) where I put my data.
    2) After, I copy the data to A(1),B(1),C(1) (another 40-50sheets) and make my calculation via VBA, deleting, adding rows etc. until I get the required results.
    Sometimes, I create another copy of A eg. A(2) and start calculation again and after comparing the results of A(1) and A(2), I delete the unused version.
    3) After I am satisfied with the result I make the reports of A(1),B(1),C(1) via Pivot tables.

Questions
    1) What is best way to simulate the Excel sheet in C# app eg. dataset, datatable, IList, since I have a lot of sheets (more than 100 per project)?
    2) What database should I use (Access, XML, SQL) to store the data sheets of A,B,C and A(1),B(1),C(1) the application will be used Locally only?
    3) My main question is, how should I solve this problem in theory, a pattern or perhaps a process description from experts would be really helpful .
    I hope this makes sense....

Re: Excel migration to C# application

DataTable would be ideal as you have diff columns of various data types .
    You can use My SQL as it is available for free.

So, for example.... I have a dataset_1 witch will hold original data in datatables A,B,C...and dataset_2 with the result tables A(1), B(1), C(1) - datatables?
    Since this is a strictly local application should I really move to server-based database MySQL, SQL Express ? should I prefer maybe XML or Access?

As you are telling its a local application you can avoid server-based databases. You can go for access or XML which ever is convinient to you.

I havent dealt with Datasets, hope some one answers your query abt that.