CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Smile Implementation Advice - when you have a moment

Sorry to have to post this guys and I believe this is the right group to target. Any help would be absolutely fantastic and obviously very much appreciated.....

I would say I am a beginner and have learnt from asp.net c sharp and SQL books. I have got to a stage where things make sense and like many of you will know it is pretty good place to be. Obviously I still have a long way to go hence I have thrown myself into a project which will I guess test many core technology.

Basically I am going to start work on a business system which logs information at each stage of a production process. The item gets picked up and ideally scanned in as it should already have a barcode (act as a primary id). When it gets to the premises it is booked in and then goes through each process of modification or testing (refurbishment) and then sent out again to a new origin when it is sold.

Ideally I want to use ASP.NET, C sharp and obviously SQL. Could you guys possibly give me some advice as to what areas of additional technology I should look into to implement it if there is anything? I trust barcode readers are universal and just plug the serial onto an excel spreadsheet which I could import into SQL database.

I read about things like Workflows, MVC's LINQ an WPF etc etc or is this not the way forward. I have a logical idea of how this thing should work but unclear as to what is out there if you see where I'm coming from.

I like the idea of running Sharepoint alongside this system but that comes later.

Any help will be awesome. Where to start? Just hope I haven't screwed myself!

Cheers for reading everyone

Re: Implementation Advice - when you have a moment

can you tell what is sharepoint that you are talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdebugger View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SharePoint

Quote Originally Posted by vcdebugger View Post
    Yeah its the pain in the *** software that you have to install to get TeamFoundationServer running. I hope I never have to install it again, ran into problem after problem getting it up and running.... All so I could have better source control than VSS hah. Very useful once installed, but I still despise it.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

VCDebugger, can you enable private messages in your control panel?