CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Visual Studio. Debug. Copying large vectors to spreadsheet

Hi,

I am debugging a code. In this task, I would like to copy the values of a large vector to a spreadsheet, to be able to analyze it, in different steps of the program. So I put a breakpoint, clicked "Add watch" to the vector, and looked it in the "Watch" window. The problem is that I have to expand several "trees" (*), which takes my a long time. So I would like to know if there is a tool that allows you to copy directly the entire vector, or if you recommend me another solution.

(*) By "trees", I mean those "+" signs that you have to click (or press the right arrow "->"), to open, and to be able to see the content of the vector.

Regards,
    Cristian

Re: Visual Studio. Debug. Copying large vectors to spreadsheet

If you can modify the code a little bit, I would add a function that dumps the vector into a csv file and then open that with Excel. It means that you will have to add the function call to those places where you need to debug the vector though.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Re: Visual Studio. Debug. Copying large vectors to spreadsheet

Thank you, that is much faster.

Anyway, if someone knows a way to copy a vector without expanding one by one the trees, it would be useful to know how to do it.