CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

why aren't my functions working?

my program tht i am building for a class is based all most entirely on functions... and none of them are reading. i therefore have 7 errors from my functions not reading in main program. why?

Re: why aren't my functions working?

Some info, code, anything?

here.

#include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <windows.h>
    using namespace std;
    int main ()
    {
    string s;
    string type;
    cout << "Enter first name and hit enter.\n";
    cin >> s;
    Sleep (500);
    cout << "Hello. " << s << ". I am the Game Master. Would you like to play a game? Yes or no?\n";
    getline(cin, type);
    if (type=="yes" || type=="ok" || type=="sure" || type=="yup" || type=="all right" || type=="okay" || type=="of course")
    cout << "Which one? I have several for you to choose from. There is a maze game, an adventure game, and a mini mystery game.\n";
    getline(cin, type);
    if (type=="the maze" || type=="maze" || type=="the maze game" || type=="maze game")
    maze();
    if (type=="the adventure" || type=="adventure" ||type=="the adventure game" || type=="adventure game")
    adventure();
    if (type=="the mini mystery" || type=="the mystery" || type=="the mini mystery game" || type=="the mystery game" || type=="mini mystery")
    mystery();
    if (type=="no" || type=="nope" || type=="nuh uh" || type=="nu uh" || type=="nada")
    cout << "Goodbye. See you later.\n";
    Sleep (500);
    system ("pause");
    system ("exit");
    else
    cout << "I don't like stupid answers.";
    Sleep(500);
    death();
    return 0;
    }
    void maze ()
    {
    string type;
    cout << "Welcome to the Labyrinth, the maze adventure game.\n There is a door in front of you. Do you open it?\n";
    cin.ignore();
    getline(cin,type);
    if (type=="yes" || type=="ok" || type=="sure" || type=="yup" || type=="all right" || type=="okay" || type=="of course")
    cout << "You open the door to find a dark room. What do you do? Be careful...\n";
    if (type=="creep in" || type=="tiptoe in" || type=="tip toe in" || type=="enter room carefully" || type=="go in carefully")
    cout << "You enter the dark room carefully and a large spear embeds itself into the ground at your feet. What do you do next?\n";
    system("pause");
    if (type=="walk in" || type=="walk into room" || type=="run in" || type=="run into room" || type=="enter room" || type=="charge in")
    cout << "You enter the dark room brashly... and get run through the head by a spear.\n";
    death();
    if (type=="no" || type=="nope" || type=="nuh uh" || type=="nu uh" || type=="nada")
    death();
    }
    void adventure ()
    {
    string type;
    }
    void mystery ()
    {
    string type;
    }

void death ()
    {
    cout << "I'm sorry that you have died. \n";
    Sleep(2000);
    system("exit");
    }

it's sloppy, yes, but it should work and it's definitely not finished.

What errors are you getting.? And you may want to use "if else", instead of just "if" statements.

1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(18) : error C3861: 'maze': identifier not found
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(20) : error C3861: 'adventure': identifier not found
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(22) : error C3861: 'mystery': identifier not found
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(28) : error C2181: illegal else without matching if
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(31) : error C3861: 'death': identifier not found
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(47) : error C3861: 'death': identifier not found
    1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\game romm 1.cpp(49) : error C3861: 'death': identifier not found
    1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\project 1- start!\project 1- start!\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    1>project code - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

thats all of them. and whats the difference between an if and an if else? im realllllllllly new to this

There is really no difference between the statements.. When using an else statement it immediately follows an if statement.. The else statement is executed if and only if the condition of the preceding if statement evaluates to zero...

For all the 'identifier not found' errors you need to declare those functions before you use them. So after 'using namespace std;' add something like
    Code:
    void maze();
    void adventure();
    void mystery();
    void death();
    for all the functions you want to use........ For the other error about 'else', you need to change the following, bold bits have been added.....
    Code:
    {
            cout << "Goodbye. See you later.\n";
            Sleep (500);
            system ("pause");
            system ("exit");
    }
    else
    {
            cout << "I don't like stupid answers.";
            Sleep(500);
            death();
            return 0;
    }
    Last edited by Cheezewizz; August 10th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

gosh thanks i forgot that you had to declare your functions.

i feel stupid about forgetting the brackets ni the if and else statements.

thanks!