dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Hiding a file after download

Hybrid View

Hiding a file after download

I am downloading a file from the internet in my c++ app. But I dont want the user to be able to see the file when its downloaded.

Ive seen it done before, just not sure how its done. The reason being is that my application you need to login, it connects to my mysql database and logs in. Then it downloads a file and launches it into another application. Its a DLL thats downloaded.

The DLL has no protection which is why I want it to be invisible when I download into the windows folder to be disguised with all the other .DLLs (only not show up)

Re: Hiding a file after download

The DLL has no protection
    Against what ?

to be invisible when I download into the windows folder to be disguised with all the other .DLLs
    This is virus behavior.

You can do it manually with hands, can't you ?

The OP can use Win32's SetFileAttributes function to hide the file but it does not prevent the user from seeing the file if the user really wants to know. The user can use a net-sniffer or process-explorer to know what the application is doing.

Hi,

So, you want a file that can be hidden after download, can change CRC dynamically, and will delete itself after execution?

Is that right?

Alan

That sounds like a virus behavior. I must say we are not providing help here for writing malicious code. I suggest you look for help with such topics on other places.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

no no, this is not a virus.

the program I am selling... and I have a login system that connects to my mysql database, and when they login the DLL which is what I am selling its the program.

But I dont know how to protect people from just copying it and using it out so they dont have to login through my login system. If they find the file they can just take it and use it as they wish...

So I want to hide it, but is there a way to make the file not accessible to the user? The only way i can think of is hiding, but even they can easily show the hidden files...

So I just thought windows folder would be best, sorry if I mislead you guys..

The dll is on my website, in my ftp, and after the user buys the application, they can login to my client , then when they login they have access to my program (this .dll), but I dont want them to have full access to it or they can take it and post it on some website and anyone can use it for free...

is there a way to virtualize the dll or something so no one can have access to it..
    Last edited by RogerThat123; August 13th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.