CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question VC++.Net 2008 confusing me???

I am an Electronic Engineer. Previously, I have an experience of using Visual C++ 6.0(Visual studio). Again I wanted to develop a new project for serial printing application from a processor. By the way, i have gone through web and decide to use Visual C++.Net 2008 for this application. By using MSDN, I have created a WINDOWS FORM Application(unless MFC Application) GUI. But now it feels, all the codes are unfamiliar to me(in which I have used in older version). especially afxMessageBox,CString,CStringList, fstream etc. are not working

And MSDN examples also some what feels difficult . Here nobody else having previous experince on using dotnet.
    Plz give me some guidelines that. whether this problem is bcoz of any missing namespace? Or the codes are of different stream than VC++6.0 MFC Application?

I need a simple GUI of only one Dialog Box Which having some text Boxes,List Box, Buttons etc. should I prefer it, for theMFC Application in dot net or the Windows form(which i had choosed already)?

Re: VC++.Net 2008 confusing me???

You didn't create an MFC application and, therefore, cannot use MFC functions and classes.
    Create a dialog based MFC project.
    MFC does not use .Net; it is native C and C++ (i.e. no C++/CLI).
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: VC++.Net 2008 confusing me???

What version of Visual Studio 2008 do you have. Be aware that the express edition doesn't have the ability to create MFC applications.

If what you have is the non-express edition, you can create a new MFC project, by clicking the 'File\New Project' menu item.

When the new project dialog appears, expand the tree control and navigate to the 'Other Languages' node. Navigate to the 'Visual C++' and click on the 'MFC' node below it.

From there, choose the MFC application template.

Resolved Re: VC++.Net 2008 confusing me???

Thank you very much.
    I have gone throuth the way and selected "dialog based" MFC applcation. I hope it will fulfill my requirements.