CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Intercept a WM_ message into a class

I was wondering how to intercept a WM_ specific message into a C++ class, I need to use the RegisterDeviceNotification function to register a specific WM_ message (I need a window here right?) and then intercept it and call the appropriate function

The C++ class should be included in any project, from a console one to a win32 to a mfc one. My idea is to create the skeleton of a win32 window and then use the WndProc for that window, is this stupid?

Is there any (surely) better solution?

Re: Intercept a WM_ message into a class

I'm not sure I understand your point. You would normally use RegisterDeviceNotification() API in a service application to receive device notifications only. (I believe you can use it with a simple windowed-app as well, in which case all notifications will be sent via the WM_DEVICECHANGE message to its main window.)

What kinds of messages do you need to intercept?

Thank you for your interest.

I need to intercept WM_DEVICECHANGE in my C++ class. The purpose of this class was to let everyone use a HID device more easily (a wrapper for the HID apis)

So I am asking myself: why a device change event should be monitored via windows? Why do I have to use a win32 window (or a mfc window) to intercept the device change message? Isn't it stupid? A console application won't be able to use my HID class and communicate with a device without having a window associated, right? That's absolutely stupid, there must be something I don't really know in-depth

That's why I told you that you need to use a service application for that. To be honest with you the primary application of the RegisterDeviceNotification() API is for services, the window message is provided on the side.

Okay, solution is on the way. I'll start working asap and if I have more problems I'll let you know

Thanks