CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

[RESOLVED] CDialog:ListBox in Doc/View

Instantiating a dialog in a Doc function, I can update an Edit box in the dialog, but when I try to use AddString on a Listbox (using "simple text"), I get an Assertion Failure.
    Using VC++6; to illustrate the problem in the simplest app, I created an SDI Doc/View app, added a Dialog class, added a new menu item to invoke the dialog, then added an Editbox (with member variable)and a CListbox (with control member variable) to the dialog. The fact that I can write to the Editbox suggests that the invocation of the Dialog is ok, but the Assertion Error for the List box is a puzzle. I can add data using AddString in an InitDialog function, but this is useless, since I want to add data to the ListBox at runtime. Must be a simple omission somewhere........

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: CDialog:ListBox in Doc/View

More than likely you're calling AddString before the control has been created or after it's been destroyed. What is the ASSERT code telling you?

Debug assertion failure message shows:

File: afxwin2.inl
    Line: 669

In the .inl file at Line 668/669 is:
    [668] _AFXWIN_INLINE int CListBox::AddString(LPCTSTR lpszItem)
    [669] { ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)); return (int)::SendMessage(m_hWnd, LB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)lpszItem); }

As I wrote earlier, a statement which writes to an Edit Box on the Dialog form is successful, whereas a trying to AddString to the List Box at the same point in the function which instantiates the Dialog causes the Assertion failure. Looks to me like the CListBox::AddString command is expecting to find the Dialog in a standard place, rather than actually getting it from the instantiated Dlg. (Excuse my poor jargonese).

May be you are missing DDX entry for the control or string. Please check if the variable name is present in your MESSAGE_MAP macro. Also, see to it that OnInitialUpdate() function calls the base class version in your view class.
    Regards,
    Bhushan

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

That supports what I said in post #2. The Listbox window doesn't exist at the point you're trying to add strings to it.

Thanks for reply, bhushan.
    The Dialog class has a DDX entry for the ListBox (c_list):
    void CDlg:oDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
    {
    CDialog:oDataExchange(pDX);
    //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CDlg)
    DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_LIST1, c_list);
    DDX_Text(pDX, IDC_EDIT1, m_edit1);
    //}}AFX_DATA_MAP
    }
    The MESSAGE_MAP for the entire Dialog class is empty. I would never guess in a million years what to put there, nor why.
    I also cannot guess what to put in View::OnInitialUpdate.
    This c**p drives me mad.

I should add that I want to access the ListBox from the Doc: that's where the data is.
    I'll also repeat the point: I can write to the EditBox in the dialog from a Doc function, but attempting to access the CListBox of the Dialog causes an assertion error. It is clear that the Doc class doesn't have a clue about the CListBox, but how to get round this? Or any suggestions as to how to present the user with a list of runtime-generated items, from which they can select any or all? Where in any MS info is there any reference to the need to hand crank a CListBox into life (other than when it's embedded in a CDialog-based appplication)? Maybe I need to use the dreaded GetDlgItem(..) ?

By moving the
    Code:
    m_list.AddString(m_pDocument->GetEditString());
    after
    Code:
    CDialog::OnInitDialog();
    everything works. Just as GCDEF says. The list control hasn't been initialized(created) that's why you're getting ASSERT on IsWindow.
    Or maybe I haven't understood where the problem stands.
    Last edited by SkyNetTo; August 16th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.