CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Writing an ORM

Writing an ORM

Hi
    I have to write my own simple Object-Relational Mapping in .NET for a student project (I prefer C#). Since I am not an advanced programmer I don't know how to start. ORM have to cover most common SQL operations (in MSSQL) like creating, dropping tables and leter select, insert, update etc. queries.

Could somoene write me what should I use, should it be a library or something, what libraries shoud I include to my classes.

Juzbrig

Re: Writing an ORM

Here's a thought...

Why not look at the ORM that are already available, find out what they do and how they do it and then implement your own? There are a few out there...Hibernate/nHibernate, LINQ, etc. Just google ORM and there will be loads out there. Is this a school/college project? If so get as much information from your tutors as to what they want to see. That should guide you in what you will need to include in your ORM. How much time are you expected to put into the project? You need to think about these things so you don't bother with every possible feature. For instance I wouldn't include creating and dropping tables as part of an ORM library. Focus instead on the CRUD (create, read, update, delete) operations.

Resolved Re: Writing an ORM

If you are still working on this project, I think that really big help would be to read "Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture" by Martin Fowler