CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Read from Access/SQL-Server via ADO (w/o .net) performance issue

Hello,

I am using ADO to read and write data in Access and SQL-Server databases. The user can select the type of the database that he wants to use. That all works perfectly, but I have a strange performance problem when I read large amounts of data from a table. To be specific, in this case I only read values coming from one field but in 10.000 records. So basicly I only have

Code:
    m_pRecordset->Fields->GetItem(0)->Value;
    //and
    m_pRecordset->MoveNext();
    While that takes around 3 seconds for Access, SQL Server needs more than 10 seconds for all 10k records. In my test scenario the server is installed on my computer.

Is there anything I can do to make things faster?

Best regards,
    Robin

Re: Read from Access/SQL-Server via ADO (w/o .net) performance issue

I believe this is a SQL server issue. I've seen similar behavior with SQL server (express) which I assumed must have been a problem in my code; but I use the same ADO wrapper class for Oracle (10g) and the performance is practically instantaneous.

This is bad news, I wanted to propose to switch completely to SQL Server as Access (the jet driver) is not yet supported for 64 Bit. But if SQL Server is slower than Access, I have to think of something different.

Thanks for your reply!

I don't think the latest access version uses Jet anymore. It's like accdb now or something. I don't know about 64 bit, sorry.