CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb How to learn C++?

I want to use Visual Studio to write C++ program, but I have no experience of C++. Any good books/video tutorial I should buy to learn C++? (I have experience with Java)

Thanks

Re: How to learn C++?

Try reading these tutorials: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
    I learned c++ from this website.

I my opinion, nothing beats a good book(s). Here is a list of some good ones.

Any book on introductory C++ or even any web based tutorial will get you started.

My best advice is to avoid the books or tutorials that try to teach you C++ assuming you already know another language ("C++ for C programmers", "C++ for java programmers" etc...). Those books will often try to overly draw parallells even where there are none and resort to quirky workarounds. This can put you in a wrong mindset when working with C++.

You're better off with a book that teaches how to program C++ without assuming programming knowledge already.

And remember, nomatter what book or tutorial you use. Actually programming some things and bumping your head on the walls a few times while making mistakes (and hopefully learning what you did wrong), while painful is the still the best way to learn how to do things.

You can get started with C++ very fast (a matter of days), but it can take months/years to master the finer points.