CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

(this == &s) vs (this == s)

Hi,
    I was trying to write overloaded == operator for string class. When I use only "s" instead of "&s" in the statement "this == &s", I get the following error. My question is: Is not "s" a reference already, so why do I need to specify "&s". What exactly does a prefix of "&" to a reference mean? (Book by Lippman but that does not seem to address this)

str.cpp: In member function `String& String:perator=(const String&)':
    str.cpp:55: error: no match for 'operator==' in 'this == s'

class String {

String& operator = (const String &s) {
    if (!(this == &s)) {
    char *temps = str;
    str = new char[sizeof(s.c_str())];
    strcpy(str, s.c_str());
    delete temps;
    }
    return *this;
    }

private:
    char *str;
    };

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: (this == &s) vs (this == s)

The & operator actually has two different meanings dependent on context. In a variable declaration, including the special case of parameter passing, it declares a reference. That's something C++ has, it wasn't in C.

However, the old C meaning of & still applies: Anywhere else it is used, it means "address of". So essentially, it converts any object into a pointer to that object.

Since "this" is a pointer to the current object, then if s is a reference to an object of the same type, you can do one of two things:
    Code:
    if (this == &s) // checks if the address of s is the same as this, eg, checks that the two are *actually*
    // the exact same object.
    if (*this == s) // uses the class's overloaded == operator, if any, to check whether s is logically
    //equivalent to the current object. It does not have to be the same actual object, although naturally
    //any object should be logically equivalent to itself.