CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Text pasted into Edit box overflows when using IE6, IE7, or IE8

The small attached HTML file demos a problem when pasting an amount of text longer than the edit box. There is example text to copy and paste into the suppled edit box and you will see the edit box expands to the rigth and covers a icon. This happens in IE 6 - IE8 on Win XP, 2000, Vista(haven't tried it on Win 7). This does not occur with FF.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Bassett; September 30th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Re: Text pasted into Edit box overflows when using IE6, IE7, or IE8

Hi Jim!

Rather post the applicable "wrong" code, instead of the whole solution with a short description.

People may think you want them to do all the work for you, and that I don't want

Question Re: Text pasted into Edit box overflows when using IE6, IE7, or IE8

Hanne, I attached the html so that one could actually see the problem happen but I should have pointed out the actual line of code involved. The actual line in question is the input box that the text is cut into:

<input id="ee6989d66f60413eb808f652ad4489ff" blankid="ee6989d66f60413eb808f652ad4489ff" type="text" stepid="6b05726e37324f01b19281f6fe69b195" style="width: 85&#37;;" />

For some reason with the width set to a % then the pasted in text runs outside the box when first pasted in. if it is set to a fixed size the problem does not occur but the requirements do not allow a fixed size.

Re: Text pasted into Edit box overflows when using IE6, IE7, or IE8

Hello again Jim!

I'm using IE 7 Windows XP ( the latest Service pack )

What happened when I took a large amount of text and pasted it inside the TextBox in question, was that that the TextBox didn't expand, it didn't cover anything, The "Edit" button still stayed at the bottom of the TextBox. I do notice though, that there is no BR tag infront of the "Edit" button. Perhaps add it, and let the Edit button picture be displayed underneath the TextBox. I'm using a 17 inch monitor at 1024 x 768 resolution. I guess this must have something to do with the effects you describe &#191;

Hope my comments were useful

Question Re: Text pasted into Edit box overflows when using IE6, IE7, or IE8

Thank you Hanne

All of the monitors here are 20 inch or bigger and each has different resolution settings. I will explore this further but since it works on yours and FireFox has no problems on our monitons I suspect it is a IE bug. The product requirements have the button just to the right of the box and they will not that requirement.