For 17 years I have been load testing transaction based applications using a toolkit developed by my business partner. Having decided it is time to get an exit strategy we have decided to package the software. To that end in January I started to learn C++ (most of the tools are written in C but I had no C development experience.

Well I'm very pleased with C++ and have developed several programs to manipulate and generate scripts from network traces. Tx for all the help here especially in regard to unravelling the secrets of the template libraries.

Now I need to look at GUI interface development and inparticular graphically supporting multiple edit windows of network traces. My question is where from here?

I need a GUI development method/tools/IDE. The code needs to run on Linux and windows (as some clients are limited to the latter). My preference has always been to buy a big fat book and work through the examples. It works for me.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Any thoughts, direction or example tools would be gratefully received. Cheers Nigel