CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Getting redirected to the home page instead of the desired page.

Hello All,

I am facing a very strange problem.

I have a URL (Query String) in the excel sheet, which opens up the desired page (a website) and displays data according to the value in the query string.

But, when i click on this link, it opens up the home page instead of the page in the url.

I don't understand why this happens.

Also, i have tried opening this link directly through browser, but it just redirects to the home page.

There is a login page with https enabled. So, after logging in, it should go to the desired page and not to the home page.

Any pointers please ?

Regards,
    MMH
    Regards,
    MMH
    Rate my post if you find it usefull.

Re: Getting redirected to the home page instead of the desired page.

It is very difficult to say what is causing the issue. It may be because your session is not valid and that is why it is taking you to the home page directly instead of the desired page that is mentioned in the URL. Or it maybe that the URL is not correct. There are hundreds of possibilities why this might be happening. The quickest way to get a solution is to approach the people who have designed the web-site, they would be in a better position to explain why it is happening.

Thanks for your reply.

We are adding additional functionality to the existing website.
    The additional feature has export functionality which exports data to excel sheet (template).
    It has links to the page with IDs in the form of a query string. The user can only see text and not the complete link.

When i click on the link, it takes me to the login page where the query string is in the encrypted form. After logging into the site (SSL enabled) it should redirect to the desired page (which is not secured).

I have observed that in the IE status bar it tries to navigate to that page, but then after few seconds it changes the url and navigates to the home page.

I have also checked the URL, which is correct.

Hope this gives some extra info..

Thanks alot.
    MMH

This means the problem is with the way you are redirecting the user from login page to the actual page that was requested. If you are using Form's Authentication then you should check if the code that you are using is correct. Can you post the code here that shows how you redirect the user to the original page once the user is authenticated.