CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Quick True/False Class Question

Hi everyone!

Just looking at a C++ test for revision.

Several statements are provided regarding C++ classes and I am asked which one is true. I've narrowed it down to two answers:

1 - Whether specified or not, all C++ classes implicilty inherit from class object.

2 - A pointer to an object can only be used to access its class's private member functions if the pointer is in a member or friend function

But am unsure which one is correct, my thoughts are:

1 - I've never heard of this but I read that all .net classes inherit from system.object. I think this is only for VC++ though and so not correct.

2 - Sounds correct to me... but am a little unclear with the wording of the question.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Re: Quick True/False Class Question

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    1 - I've never heard of this but I read that all .net classes inherit from system.object. I think this is only for VC++ though and so not correct.
    There is no ".net" in C++. C++ is a general purpose language who's rules come from the ANSI/ISO specification. There is no such thing as a ".net" C++. C++ is C++.

The .NET architecture has a totally separate language that uses C++ as a base, called "Managed C++" . This is a superset of C++ and other non-C++ language additions. Do not be confused just because Visual C++ has "true" C++ and another language called "Managed C++" available to you. You should be answering the question as it pertains to true blue C++.
    Code:
    class foo
    {
    };
    To answer your first question: Do you see foo inheriting from any objects?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Re: Quick True/False Class Question

Hi,

Thanks very much for the clarification, I thought it was something specific to .net but was unsure if there was something I was missing.

cheers!