CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

networking i am stupid

it always seems like yesterday when I first read a chapter of
    "how to network your computer ?"
    i learnt about it 7 years ago, now i just don't remember a thing of it. what do you think happened to my brain ?

not just mentioning 7 years as it is a long time of separation,
    things i read today seem to be erased completely from my memory the next day or so. i am so scared that i might have been affected by or having some signs of ezaimer ? i am so worried! the disease really scares me.

i would like to make a question that my freind's computer's ip address is 192.12.1.1 and mine is 192.15.5.5. out server's ip address is 215.123.45.69
    i would like to connect to his computer

So I open the Run and type in his local address but it seems i only am ableto get his shared folder so i can not fix his computer from a remote computer(my computer)

i also hear of VPN that can be used to connect to remote computers that are as far as country-to-country distances, i just don't know howsuch a connection can be done at all.
    someone knows how to do these things ? could you offer some help or explain them to me. i just so much positively think i am running into a completely wrong direction and seemingly there is just no way out after all.

Re: networking i am stupid

if he has XP, he can send a remote repair link by email that will connect to his machine
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon5 View Post
    it always seems like yesterday when I first read a chapter of
    "how to network your computer ?"
    i learnt about it 7 years ago, now i just don't remember a thing of it. what do you think happened to my brain ?

not just mentioning 7 years as it is a long time of separation,
    things i read today seem to be erased completely from my memory the next day or so. i am so scared that i might have been affected by or having some signs of ezaimer ? i am so worried! the disease really scares me.

i would like to make a question that my freind's computer's ip address is 192.12.1.1 and mine is 192.15.5.5. out server's ip address is 215.123.45.69
    i would like to connect to his computer

So I open the Run and type in his local address but it seems i only am ableto get his shared folder so i can not fix his computer from a remote computer(my computer)

i also hear of VPN that can be used to connect to remote computers that are as far as country-to-country distances, i just don't know howsuch a connection can be done at all.
    someone knows how to do these things ? could you offer some help or explain them to me. i just so much positively think i am running into a completely wrong direction and seemingly there is just no way out after all.
    You know I myself can not resolve the problems in question and codeguru is a very good place to search my answers. I hope one day I grow strong and old enough to judge people's writings. Hahaha

i have no clue as to what you are trying to say
    thank you dgliena, i am fine with xp but he and i both don't have xp in use, we use vista and are about to move to win7 soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bather View Post
    You know I myself can not resolve the problems in question and codeguru is a very good place to search my answers. I hope one day I grow strong and old enough to judge people's writings. Hahaha
    One random answer in multi threaded posts ?

I am looking for a tree in a forest So funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon5 View Post
    i have no clue as to what you are trying to say
    thank you dgliena, i am fine with xp but he and i both don't have xp in use, we use vista and are about to move to win7 soon
    Remote Desktop works in Vista (as well as Windows 7). It connects to Windows 7 only if you download the OPTIONAL SOFTWARE UPDATE for Remote Desktop Connection

Also have to check the firewall, and other blocking programs installed. It should work, though.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!