CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Difference between two time values

Hi, I want to get the difference between two time values expressed in HH:MM:SS:MilliSecond in all the four components of time. ie. Time1 = 12:30:45:345 , Time2= 12:45:48:400. I want the want the difference between these two values in terms of hour, minute, second and millisecond. The COleDateTime class supports only upto second and not millisecond though it has a constructor that acceps a SYSTEMTIME structure as argument. But I dont know how to get the millisecond value from COleDateTime even if I passed a SYSTEMTIME into it. Looks like the COleDateTime does not have a GetMilliSecond() functiion though you can subtract two COleDateTime values to get the difference.

Re: Difference between two time values

you have to:
    1. convert both times to milliseconds
    2. subtract them
    3. convert the resulting value to your old time-structure

Or you can implement your own class that represents a time span with the desired precision.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Thank you.

Or you can use boost posix time library. You'll have to link against the data time library, though - some boost libraries only have header files, so they're easy to use, but the date time library is not one of them. If you're not using boost already in your project, that could be quite a lot of work.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky