dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Biometrics

Question Biometrics

Hi there,

I have been tasked with building a system that calculates hours worked, over time etc. I'm quite fluent in vb.net and so storing the data in a database and calculating all this is no problem. My main concern how ever is how each employee will clock in. The first choice that came to mind would be to implement the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader or even another brand, but each google result returned something you would have to pay and nothing really open source.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea on how to implement a fingerprint reader of any brand, I can purchase it. Or, does anyone have any other idea's of how an employee can "clock in".

Would be great if there was a way to raise an event and said boom user id ### has placed there finger on the scanner :P but I know life is not this simple. The fingerprint reader would ensure that a buddy of the employee does not clock in for them.

As I say though I am open to idea's on how an employee can clock in a card reader was an alternative, but I was worried losing cards would be an issue, also a fingerprint reader is just way cooler

Thanks,
    Ross.

Re: Biometrics

This may have what your looking for.
    The second item - Desktop Identity 1.0.1, looks to be exactly what you need :
    "It also has the very powerful functionality of working online with an existing application and to provide this identification information to the third-party software. In this mode it integrates with any existing system, such as time and attendance, check-in / check-out, access control, even if this is a legacy, text-oriented, system."

and the $40 license is not too heavy...

Gremmy....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.