CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Windows 7 Issues.

Just installed windows 7 a few days ago and am having 2 issues at this point. Maybe someone can lend some insight here.

1: I am unable to access shared drives on other computers on my network from windows 7. I can see the pcs and the drive lists but when I select any of them the system prompts for userid and password [as expected] but the userid/password is always rejected. In the box that comes up it shows the user id as the windows7 pc/userid.

I can access the windows 7 pc from all of the other systems and I can access the other systems from this pc when I am running in XP or even in XP mode under windows 7.

2: I am having a problem getting the screen res to appear properly on my wide screen tv. Windows 7 tells me that the native res is 1280x1024 and wants to use that res on the montior. If I have it set as the primary display then that res will fill the screen but of course the image is distorted unless I switch the tv to 4:3 mode.

If I select 1280x768 then I get a black bar top and bottom even when the tv is in 16:9 format.

If the tv is not the primary display I get the black bar top and bottom even in 1280x1024 mode.

This is only an issue in windows 7. Windows 2000, XP, Vista all work properly.

I am running a 9600GT with the latest drivers and have tried Windows 7 x86 Ultimate as well as Windows 7 x64 Pro. both behave the same way on both of the issues above.

Any ideas?

Re: Windows 7 Issues.

After some additional testing it appears that I can access the shared drives on the XP machines from Windows 7. I can not however access the shared drives on the Windows 2000 machines from Windows 7.

I can launch the virtual pc under windows 7 and then access the Windows 2000 shared drives from within the virtual pc xpmode.

I am stumped.

After a bit more testing and a re-install it seems that the issue may be related to the Virtual PC update.

Prior to installing the VPC I was able to get my wide screen montior to show a wide screen format full screen as it should but then I installed the VPC and the format changed to 1280x1024 and black bars top and bottom. Tried 1280x 768 same result black bars top and bottom. If I make it the primary display then the 1280x1024 mode strechs out to fill the screen but it is of course distorted.

I tried uninstalling the VPC but the display did not return to normal.

Looks like maybe I need a patch for the VPC to correct this issue.

Hmm... no ideas?

Well I did more testing. Restored a backup image prior to the VPC install and the problem is now there as well so apparently it is not related to the VPC install. It would seem that the reboot at that point is where the problem occurs.

I have tried with the default drivers installed by windows and the lastest drivers from Nvidia both with the same results.

My monitor is a 32" RCA HDTV using a 15 pin dsub input connector and a linksys KVM switch.
    System is custom built.
    Gigabyte AM3 MB
    PhenomII X4 955
    4G Corsair DDR2
    9600 GT 512M
    2 Seagate 1TB Drives
    2 Hitachi 500G Drives Raid Mirror
    MSI DVD RW
    Ultra 650W PS
    Ultra M998 Case ' I highly reccomend this case well constructed, very roomy with great air flow.

Does Media Player play movies correctly? Sounds like a driver problem for your Video Screen. Windows Update may have downloaded a driver, which changed the resolution
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I've had some issues with resolution too.

When I first loaded up Window 7(Enterprise), it actually defaulted at the max resolution. 1900x
    Usually you would see the minimum, when starting for the first time.

But then at some point, I lost the maximum ability.
    I really don't know when.
    Perhaps when I installed the NVIDA driver, but I wasn't paying attention to the max res, since I dont' use the max.

However, I found a windows update that was a wide screen driver, and sure enough, the max is available again.

Have you given that a try?

BTW,
    This operating system really stinks. Bad.

I almost wonder if some of the newbies here in the forum,
    wrote the code for Windows 7.
    Hey, "windows 7" was some dudes idea on that commercial, and the little child says it's the best OS ever!
    As if they know any better.

Long live XP!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TT(n) View Post
    BTW,
    This operating system really stinks.
    Hmm, it works great for me. I was running Windows 2003 Server previously on my development laptop. I used to run server because I needed IIS, SQL, reporting services, analysis server, WF, and several versions of Visual Studio.

Some of the software I ran in the past required a server OS, so I thought I might have to install Windows 2008 R2.

Anyway, I decided to give Windows 7 a try and was able to install and use all the previous software that I ran in the past.

Windows 7 works fine and it shuts down and starts up way faster than my previous OS's.

Ah-Ha!

The super sluggishness has something to do with the UAC I believe.
    I just enabled the hidden administrator, and the difference is tremendous.
    When logged in as the real administrator, there is no need to check the UAC, or split tokens, so it is much much faster. No more infinite circle, waiting for a simple window to open. I mean right click, common why the heck would that take that long? The timing is never consistent either, so you can tell that something wonky is going on.

Now, it's almost as normal as XP, except for all the bugs it has. lol
    Seriously a big difference in speed though.
    I'm going to do some timings tonight, and post back here, to show everone what I'm talking about.

Its not meant to be run as administrator full time, but that would be the only way it compares with xp.
    I myself wouldn't have to worry much, about being logged in as the admin.
    It's been almost 10 years, since I've had a virus that was the fault of my own. I learned to be careful, and abstain from many web sites, and risky programs, long ago. And also turn up the internet security settings etc.
    I would still recommend that novice users, not log in as the admin.

If you are really an administrator, with at least intermediate knowledge, and Vista/7 is not opening windows like a normal OS, then try this:

Here is how to use the HIDDEN administrator account.

Open the control panel, and then click category...

Control Panel
    Category
    Small icons
    Administrative Tools
    LocalSecurityPolicy
    Local Policies
    Security Options

The fist account policy at the top is for the Administrator account status.
    Enable it, and reboot.

That's it!

Can you think of any reasons why enabling the administrator account might not be a good idea?

Can you think of any reasons why enabling the administrator account might not be a good idea?
    Nope, no problems with enabling it.
    Using it full time, could potentially open your computer up, to a program that is now free to execute without a UAC prompt. Gotcha.

Home administrators, will already be avoiding programs that could potentially execute, so there isn't as big a problem for personal use.
    Plus anti-virus programs provide similar protection.
    I've used XP for 9 years without issue, so the UAC is just a nuisance, that was slowing the OS down.
    If I mess up its my fault. wah. Not gonna happen.

If non-admins use your PC, then it might not be a good idea.
    Create a standard account for them, or teach them the ropes.

Oh, and turn up your internet security settings!

Cookies, may want to be bumped up to medium/high.
    BLOCK all popups. This will save you if you do alot of online searching etc.

Links are rendered inactive, until you press and hold Ctrl+Alt - Click.
    This is a way to tell the computer that it's really you behind the keyboard and mouse, and you really want to open that link.
    The link could still be bogus ofcourse, so use discretion still.
    It prevents pages from opening a bogus link when you click on the main window somewhere.

No comparison as far as security is concerned.

WINDOWS 7 _ Percent Safer Now
    vista - 23%
    xp sp3 - 37%
    xp sp2 - 67%
    xp sp0 - 93%
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by TT(n) View Post
    Home administrators, will already be avoiding programs that could potentially execute, so there isn't as big a problem for personal use.
    Perhaps experienced users, maybe, but most users users don't necessarily understand the dangers of running a machine in admin mode. It's definitely not recommended.

No comparison as far as security is concerned.
    There is some diffence in security, but percentages may be relative figures.
    I would be curious as to who/how a true scientific percentage could even be derived.
    From my perspective, I could say approx ~0%.
    Murphy's law applies, and we may have reached a saturation point, where we are simply trading one thing for another, ie speed for sense of securtiy.
    They've got to make the OS work correctly, AND provide levels of security.
    Honestly those percentages nearly mirror the speed difference on about a dozen various machines I've observed.

most users users don't necessarily understand the dangers of running a machine in admin mode
    I think that's why they hid it from regular people.
    True, but most users also don't understand how this kind of security even works.
    It still relies on those same users/admins, to decide whether or not to click OK.
    A prompt can become common place, where they blindly click on OK.
    At that point, it's all about blaming the user for their lack of judgment.
    Windows can be said to be more secure, but the user isn't safe from him/her self, as usual.
    You either are an admin, or you are not. Pick one.
    Perhaps an admin tutorial would be a good idea, to place into the OS.
    Kind of like a game, with several levels to learn and perfect.

If the OS could identify that a user/admin is really at the keyboard or mouse, then that would be more secure.