CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Any good Build Machines for C# projects?

Hi,

Can someone recommand a good Build Machine for C# projects with the following features:

1. Nightly Build.
    2. Run Tests.
    3. Email the developer who broke the build.
    4. Email te developer which his test failed.

Regards

Re: Any good Build Machines for C# projects?

Nant is the most commonly used one. But if you are using TFS, you should already have that capability built into the server.

With NAnt, you can configure everything that you have mentioned above with the little extra coding.

ugh, just the word nant makes me want to sever my jugular w/ a dull spoon. brings back difficult times hand writing nant scripts.

I would rather use MSBuild anyday (especially with the built in support for custom actions via C#). it just uses your solution files for building and you can schedule tasks in the task mgr for it (and it will run automated tests you have included, and should be able to send emails as well).

we use visual build pro which works rather well and can do anything you can think of (and lots of things you can't). we use it to get latest, build, run msi's for merge modules, and installers, and copy things out to distribution channels. we could run tests in there too if we wanted.

hmm... I could not understand what you people are talking about. if these are build machines then why is microsoft .NET studio used for building C# source code ??

You misunderstand the role of msbuild. Visual Studio uses msbuild to compile projects, not the other way round. msbuild is a commandline utility which can process .sln/.csproj files and compile them.
    www.monotorrent.com For all your .NET bittorrent needs

NOTE: My code snippets are just snippets. They demonstrate an idea which can be adapted by you to solve your problem. They are not 100% complete and fully functional solutions equipped with error handling.

Talking Re: Any good Build Machines for C# projects?

thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
    ugh, just the word nant makes me want to sever my jugular w/ a dull spoon. brings back difficult times hand writing nant scripts.

I would rather use MSBuild anyday (especially with the built in support for custom actions via C#). it just uses your solution files for building and you can schedule tasks in the task mgr for it (and it will run automated tests you have included, and should be able to send emails as well).

we use visual build pro which works rather well and can do anything you can think of (and lots of things you can't). we use it to get latest, build, run msi's for merge modules, and installers, and copy things out to distribution channels. we could run tests in there too if we wanted.
    I would second that

Smile Re: Any good Build Machines for C# projects?

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

CruiseControl.Net