CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Best way to pass files to Access database

I am working on a very simple program for someone and because it's been so long since i've programmed, I'm looking for an answer as to the best way to do the following.

My program consists of tracking incident reports and each report needs to have the data entered as well as the "paper form" linked to it that shows the members signature. I have everything completed on the program but how to get my file to link with the incident. I am using Access for my database and have been looking everywhere online on how to attachment documents within Access using the Attachment Datatype. So my question is.....

Should i find a way to import the file to Access, and if so, how do i do this, or should i just send the file path to Access as a text field, and then hyperlink the file when it is displayed on the report? I've never done anything like this and was just looking for some pointers.

Re: Best way to pass files to Access database

HAve a look into storing BLOBs ( Binary Large Objects ).

just a note, Access has a file size limit of 2 GB, so depending on how many of these files you store, you may not have enough space in Access, at some point in time...