CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Game Launcher Help

Ok, I'm trying to create a game launcher with auto-update function. What I had in mind:

- The updater should connect to the internet and do an md5-sum of the Data directory on a webserver.
    - Also do md5-sum on the Data directory in C:\Program Files\Chronicles.
    - No match = download remote Data directory.

However, I want this as well:
    - When running the md5-sums, fill up a progressbar. So when sums are done, progressbar is full.
    - When downloading, fill up another progressbar. So when done downloading, progressbar is full.

When I say directory, I mean the whole directory, not a single file (some people misunderstood that :P). And if it is easier to check the size of the directories, then that is fine too.

And please keep in mind I'm a beginner regarding winsocks and APIs.

Exclamation Re: Game Launcher Help

Bump.

Re: Game Launcher Help

You have coherently defined a project in general terms. You could implement this in many programming languages on a variety of platforms. If you use Visual C++, and you come across a problem whilst creating your project, you could flag it here, and typically get a useful suggestion or a solution. This forum, I humbly suggest, is for helping and being helped with coding and software system problems, not for project design and realisation.

Re: Game Launcher Help

If you dont know the basics of API and Socks then start reading Windows programming by Charles Petzold. Its a good start