Operating System [Under Construction]
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Operating System [Under Construction]

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Operating System [Under Construction]

Berry 3.0
    - - - - - - - -
    Hi, my name is Caleb Nelsen and I am a high school student who wants to make an operating system.

The operating systems name is Berry 3.0 (Berry 3.0 being the 'ultimate' version).

Stage - Start up:
    - So about a month and a week ago or so, I was talking with my friend Tollef and decided that I wanted to make an operating system, named after this kid who's nickname is Berriolous, because it was a funny nickname, the name became the inspiration for the project; Tollef hasn't been helping out much, but I told him to learn some C++, hopefully he's doing that. You may have seen a similar post on Tech-forums.net

State - Dark Ages:
    - Currently I am located in the Dark Ages of the project. My skills are not professional, they are amateur.

- I have begun a website for Berry 3.0 by creating the layout, and adding splices with attached links which are not yet active seeing as I am not ready to purchase a domain and load the webpage yet. It is looking very good, some of my best work.

- I have created the Box Logo in which Berry 3.0 will be shipped out/sold in stores. It took some time, but with the help of Distort I was able to manipulate the image to be a box.

- I have no knowledge of any coding obviously. That is a major reason why I am here, I would like to ask if anyone wanted to help contribute to this project as a coder, help me with graphical images/interface, and concepts.

- I have a lot of really good concepts that do not yet exist in the Operating System and Hardware industry.

- I am currently begging work on the Desktop Icon for Berry 3.0.

- I am currently begging on legal work for Berry 3.0.

Stage - Help:
    - Would anyone like to join this project within the next month or two?
    - Would anyone like to contribute any ideas to go into the operating system?

Stage - Other Thoughts:
    - Am I crazy for trying this?
    - Was I rude?
    - Please give me some feedback, thank you.

Thank you once again for reading, I hope there are quite a few people who would like to contribute maybe an hour or two hours a week to this project once I start it up. Feel free to leave your comments because they are much valued at this moment.

Edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

Thank you for your time, I can explain the project more once I have finished the legal work.

Re: Operating System [Under Construction]

If you really want to start a new operating system from scratch, you will need dozens of people working on the project for many years. And if people are supposed to do it for free, you need very good arguments why you aren't basing your OS on the Linux kernel.
    However, if you're planning to use the Linux kernel, then this sounds just like creating yet another Linux distribution with a new design and a certain focus. But at least that way, it's a realistic project.

Oh, and why Berry 3.0? Where are 1 and 2?

Re: Operating System [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    If you really want to start a new operating system from scratch, you will need dozens of people working on the project for many years. And if people are supposed to do it for free, you need very good arguments why you aren't basing your OS on the Linux kernel.
    However, if you're planning to use the Linux kernel, then this sounds just like creating yet another Linux distribution with a new design and a certain focus. But at least that way, it's a realistic project.

Oh, and why Berry 3.0? Where are 1 and 2?
    This guy is pretty much right.

It's a huge project there's no way you can do this yourself and it might not even be possible if you aren't going to be basing it off the Unix/Linux kernel.