CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming

Hi a couple of months back i said i was getting a book but i didnt. the book was Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition but now ive orded it and it has been sent. The thing is it comes with a CD with codes on it and with the blood shed C++. Ive been learning on Microsoft C++ express edition 2008 and recently downloaded the 2010 beta version and im use to the lay out on that. When i say im use to it i mean i no certain codes and certain things to make things work from the console. I was wondering if Blood Shed C++ is the same?. Also can BloodShed C++ run on Windows7 pro 32bit. Or can i use the book with MSC++ or will it be abit different?.

Thanks..

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming

Any differences from the book will simply highlight things you shouldn't have been doing anyway. The new VS is about as standards-compliant as anything. Just be careful not to get too caught up in Microsoft-specific language extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper847 View Post
    I was wondering if Blood Shed C++ is the same?. Also can BloodShed C++ run on Windows7 pro 32bit.
    "Bloodshed C++" is really not a C++ compiler, it is just a GUI around the gcc compiler.

The Bloodshed C++ GUI hasn't been updated in a few years, so many people are going to the CodeBlocks IDE. Both CodeBlocks and Bloodshed use the gcc compiler underneath the hood, and gcc will run on any 32-bit Windows platform (as well as many non-Windows platforms).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Hi a couple of months back i said i was getting a book but i didnt.
    Shame on you

As Paul noted, BloodShed is for gcc. This is a different compiler than the MS compiler. Both compile C++, but working with Visual Studio or working with gcc + gdb as debugger is a different experience. As a beginner it's not really advised to mix them. Personally I think you are better of with learning how to work with the Visual Studio and maybe later to take a look at gcc.