dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: UnauthorizedAccessException when checking MD5

Exclamation UnauthorizedAccessException when checking MD5

I'm new to these forums, so hello to all of you, and thanks in advance for your help.

I feel like my issue is relatively basic, but I have been unable to uncover a solution...

I am trying to compute the md5 for a bunch of files amongst other things. However, for files in the System32 directory I continually encounter the UnauthorizedAccessException. These files are marked Read / Read & Execute, and as I understand it, this is part of the problem. I am just not sure why... since all I am trying to do here is read.

When I compute the md5 of these files using the md5 function in CygWin it works fine. So, in theory at least there's got to be a way to accomplish this...

My current code on retrieving the md5 is below:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
    FileStream fs = new FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open);
    MD5 md5 = new MD5CryptoServiceProvider();
    byte[] hash = md5.ComputeHash(fs);
    fs.Close();
    foreach (byte hex in hash)
    {
    sb.Append(hex.ToString("x2"));
    }
    return sb.ToString();
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I get the exception right when I create the FileStream. Is there another way around this problem that will not result in the previously mentioned uae? Thanks again.

Re: UnauthorizedAccessException when checking MD5

Not sufficient privilegies? I'd bet this is the reason. Check if the account under which you run your code has access to the folder System32.
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.

This was the first thing I checked, and I do indeed have access to the directory. More specifically, when I got to [properties >> security] of each file, System/Users/Administrators all have "Read" and "Read and Execute" access to the files in this directory.

In my code, all I'm doing (unless I'm mistaken) is reading in a file byte by byte and computing the aggregate hash. Therefore, I'm uncertain as to why I am getting the permission error? Is there something I'm doing wrong in my code?

Ah ha!

I figured out the issue, it would appear that when initializing the FileStream object, the FileMode.Open command seemed to want to default to assuming it needed RW privs unless specified.

I specified that I only needed read perms by slightly modifying the FileStream object:

FileStream fs = new FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);

The key there is the FileAccess.Read at the end. Re-ran it and all was well. Hope this helps others . Thanks for the suggestion.