CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: RMS an array

RMS an array

Hello-

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago and your tips helped a great deal but today I have another problem that I'm finding rather vexing, I have an array of ints from a wave file and I'd like to perform RMS on it, this would be easy if I were to do the entire array however the window size for the RMS is dynamic depending on the bit width of the wave file. I've got some psudeo code that I think would work (if I could work out how to implement it):

for(int i = 0; i <= array.size(); i++){
    runningWindowCount = array[i];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+1];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+2];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+3];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+4]; // do this the amount required by the bit width
    windowCountAverage = runningWindowCount / bitWidth;
    RMSArray.push_back(sqrt(windowCountAverage));
    }

now this should work right? however its possibly the least elegant piece of code ever plus it doesn't deal with a different bit width. any tips on how I could make this better? or make it work if it doesn't already?

thanks.

Re: RMS an array

Code:
    for(int i = 0; i <= array.size(); i++){
    runningWindowCount = array[i];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+1];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+2];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+3];
    runningWindowCount += array[i+4];
    You are overwriting the boundaries of the array in that loop. Look at the value of your loop counter and how you are using it inside the loop.

For a simple case, what if the array had 2 elements? When i == 0, you are writing to array[0], array[1], array[2], array[3], and array[4]. The ones in red are invalid.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Is RMS referring to Root Mean Square? If so, you should multiply each element by itself before summing them. I.e. runningWindowCount = array[i] * array[i]

From you question, I believe you are calculating an array of RMS value within a sliding window and its width is determined by bitWidth. Here's something I quickly put together without checking with a compiler.

Code:
    for(int i = 0; i < array.size() - bitWidth; ++i) // Looping till array.size() - bitWidth to avoid running beyond the array for calculating the mean of squares.
    {
      double runningWindowCount = 0.0;

// Sum and loop through the sliding window within the size of bitWidth
      for(int j = 0; j < bitWidth; ++j)
      {
        runningWindowCount += array[i+j] * array[i+j];
      }

windowsCountAverage = runningWindowCount/bitWidth;
      RMSArray.push_back(sqrt(windowCountAverage));
    }
    quoted from C++ Coding Standards:

KISS (Keep It Simple Software):
    Correct is better than fast. Simple is better than complex. Clear is better than cute. Safe is better than insecure.

Avoid magic number:
    Programming isn't magic, so don't incant it.

Quote Originally Posted by dommmm View Post
    now this should work right? however its possibly the least elegant piece of code ever plus it doesn't deal with a different bit width. any tips on how I could make this better? or make it work if it doesn't already?
    There's a massive performance gain lying around in the second for loop. In each iteration of the outer loop you are using (bitWidth - 1) of the same elements for your average. Therefore, keeping a sum of squares and updating this in each loop will reduce the complexity from O(n * bitWidth) to O(n).

I would still advice though, that you first make sure you have the algorithm correct before you begin with such optimizations.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky