CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Web browser plug-in for Flash removal

I'm looking to make a web browser plug in that could disable (i.e. hide) a Flash plug-in upon a click on it. Before I begin I'm just curious if such is possible at all? I'm assuming that I will need to use some sort of a Browser Helper Object, but my question is how do you go about accessing all elements in the HTML document itself? Anyway, I'd appreciate some pointers on this subject.

PS. In case you're wondering why I need this... well, there are quite a few sites out there with a bunch of "annoying" Flash plug-ins (including this one on the right side). My intention is to make a simple browser plug-in with a toggle button on a toolbar. So, say when a button is not toggled the browser behaves as usual. If a user toggles this button, then the cursor changes to say "Flash Remover" and then if a user points it to a flash plug-in and clicks it, that plug-in goes away or is disabled or unloaded. So that is in principle, now I need to find out if it's possible to do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ahmd; December 7th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Re: Web browser plug-in for Flash removal

Quote Originally Posted by ahmd View Post
    I'm looking to make a web browser plug in that could disable (i.e. hide) a Flash plug-in upon a click on it. Before I begin I'm just curious if such is possible at all? I'm assuming that I will need to use some sort of a Browser Helper Object, but my question is how do you go about accessing all elements in the HTML document itself? Anyway, I'd appreciate some pointers on this subject.

PS. In case you're wondering why I need this... well, there are quite a few sites out there with a bunch of "annoying" Flash plug-ins (including this one on the right side). My intention is to make a simple browser plug-in with a toggle button on a toolbar. So, say when a button is not toggled the browser behaves as usual. If a user toggles this button, then the cursor changes to say "Flash Remover" and then if a user points it to a flash plug-in and clicks it, that plug-in goes away or is disabled or unloaded. So that is in principle, now I need to find out if it's possible to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I believe there is an addon for Firefox called FlashBlock that might do what you want...
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

Re: Web browser plug-in for Flash removal

Quote Originally Posted by Vanaj View Post
    I believe there is an addon for Firefox called FlashBlock that might do what you want...
    No, it doesn't. I checked before posting here and first of all, FlashBlock, blocks all Flash when the page loads up, what is quite inconvenient since that is pretty much what would happen if I simply set it up in the browser not to load it, and secondly, it's a plug-in for Firefox and I need it for IE.

I got an example of a BHO from here already:
    http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/bho.html
    but what I now need to know is this:

1. How to intercept a mouse click and make sure it isn't sent to the page?

2. Is it possible to override the IE's default cursor? (I need this for the mode when Flash is being killed.)

3. I believe I can use some of the IHTMLEventObj interface to parse the HTML of the document and find all instances of the Flash object, but how do you unload/stop/hide it?

4. It's not quite clear for me how to make my BHO display a button and possibly a settings window in the Internet Explorer?

I'm relatively new to programming BHO's, so if someone can answer any of the questions above I'd greatly appreciate it.