CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Urgent: Tool that converts C program on unix to c program on Windows

Is there any tool that converts C program on unix to Cprogram on Windows? Pl reply.

Re: Urgent: Tool that converts C program on unix to c program on Windows

I seriously doubt such a tool exists.
    - Guido

Re: Urgent: Tool that converts C program on unix to c program on Windows

What sort of calls are you having problems with: system calls, threads or GUI calls?

For most system calls, have a look at the "Unix Applicaiton Migration Guide" in VS help. Tells you most of what you need to know.

There is an almost one-to-one correspondence between pthreads and Windows threads so there shouldn't be much of a problem there. Shared memory is completely different - on Unix, you don't need to release it but on windows you need to before anyone can write to it

GUIs depends on which package you're translating from. Unix GUIs tend to use callbacks i.e. put a routine in place which will perform the relevant action when the event takes place. This is equivalent to PostMessage on Windows. Most windows programming is done using SendMessage, which is "do it now, I will wait for you". Basically, you need to rewrite the logic of the GUI because the two just cannot be used interchangeably.