CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Don't understand GUI with C++

So I have a pretty decent understanding of C++ from a basic sense (data structures, handling of data, file manipulation etc.) within the DOS ui but I am not aware (pretty much at all) of how to integrate my code into a good GUI. Can someone explain to me how this is done and what are the best industry tools to move into this type of applications development. Thank you.

Re: Don't understand GUI with C++

C++ is a language that runs without a GUI, because it's not platform specific. You have to use extern libraries Qt or wxWidgets to create a GUI based application, these allow you to create cross-platform applications. You can also use the Windows API, the Carbon API, or the X API directly.

can anyone recommend a good starting tutorial for this? There are just so many options out there I don't know which one would be good to start with. I just want to be able to create windows applications as easily as possible, nothing fancy. Thanks

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Grab a WxWidgets tutorial and start reading. Practice is really the best way to understand it.

I recommend actually learning how to do the code yourself. There are some "visual editors" around which generate code for you, but personally I feel it's best to really understand what's going on under the hood before you decided whether or not to use something like that.

For the Windows API I recommend http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/simple_window.html